- Place the space heater on a level hard surface. Keep anything flammable, such as; clothing, bedding, curtains or rugs at least three feet away from the space heater. Never leave children unattended in a room with the space heater. Make sure you turn off the space heater off when you go to bed.
- If you are using a fireplace or wood stove, please take these precautions as well. You will want a glass or screen fireplace cover to protect against sparks and rolling logs. Again, you will want to make sure all the fire embers in the fireplace are out before going to bed. It is also important to remember to no use the cooking stove for warming up your home. This is a safety hazard for children and animals.
- Frozen pipes can be a problem this time of year. If you have this problem, you can leave the doors under the sinks open. Remember to always place household chemicals out of reach of children. You can possibly store them in the garage temporarily. You will also want to leave the water faucets dripping before going to bed at night. These tips can save your pipes from bursting or cracking.
- In case of power outages, remember to use generators out side the home.
- In the basement and connecting garage can cause lethal gases in the home. Always check your generator to make sure it is working up to par, you don’t want to find out during a power outage your generator isn’t working
Kansas City is getting hit with our first REALLY cold weather this winter season. I mentioned in a previous blog ways to prepare your home for winter. Hopefully those tips are keeping you warm with the temperatures dropping.
If you are still feeling a bit cold and choose to use a space heater for extra warmth. Please use these precautions:
Finally, review your home owner insurance on a regular basis. Keep important documents in a fire proof place. Hopefully, you will never have to have to use your home owner insurance. These tips are to help prevent any home owner accidents. CH Construction wants to help our readers stay safe and let you know we are available for consultation on your home owner needs.